quinta-feira, 4 de junho de 2009

Mais um acidente com triatleta na Inglaterra...

©

Stannard involved in high speed crash

Riding a bike for a living, or for that matter as a hobby, can be risky business. Few riders escape without experiencing some kind of accident, and although quite often cars aren't involved there does seem to be an increasing number of accidents where they are.

Richard Stannard has been reasonably lucky during his 12-year triathlon career, that was up until yesterday afternoon. Whilst out on a training ride Richard was hit at nearly 50mph by a reckless driver. Thankfully, Tri247 can report that although his injuries are serious he will make a full recovery. Nevertheless Richard said it's unlikely that he will race again this season due to the injuries he sustained in the accident. This will be a massive blow to him as he also missed the end of last season due to a serious chest infection.

Tri247 spoke to Richard this morning, "I have a shattered wrist, but I know I'm very lucky as it could have been so much worse. All I remember of the accident is being catapulted into the air and landing very hard on the tarmac. Lying next to me was my brand new sponsored Ribble bike broken in two." Richard, who was just two weeks away from attempting to win the Nokia Windsor Triathlon for a third consecutive year, continued with this advice, "Although the accident wasn't my fault; I urge all riders to be extra vigilant when out training on the roads; and always to wear a helmet. At the moment I'm still in shock, but I'm quite aware that I was probably seconds or metres away from a far worse outcome."

Sem comentários: