quinta-feira, 30 de outubro de 2008

Chrissie Wellington pensa nos J.O. 2012

A rainha de Kona diz que quer tentar os J.O. 2012. Será que consegue?

Triathlete Chrissie Wellington says she is now targeting the London 2012 Olympics after retaining her world Ironman title in Hawaii last month.

But the 31-year-old from Norfolk admits she will have to change things round to get an Olympic gold medal.

"Olympic distance triathlon requires a completely different skill set," Wellington told BBC Radio Norfolk.

"That's not to say I won't give 2012 a shot, either in triathlon or another sport, maybe bike racing."

Wellington added: "I've got four years, at the moment I want to concentrate on Ironman, but if we think that there's a chance I could make it on to a British team of course that's something I'd go for.

"The Olympics is the highlight of any professional athlete's career but my Hawaii victory means so much to me.

"Hawaii is the Olympics for endurance athletes and I feel so proud of my victory there."

The Ironman event comprises a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride followed by a full 26.2 mile marathon.

Wellington has chosen to have four weeks off after a gruelling year in which she has won every full-distance event she has entered.

But speaking from her parents' home in Feltwell, Norfolk, she admitted she was finding it hard to switch off.

"I haven't had too many breaks this year, I've been training solidly since the middle of November last year.

"It's nice to have a bit of downtime, see friends and family and do some of the things I enjoyed doing before I took up this crazy sport.

"I must admit though I feel like a drug addict, I need my adrenalin fix at the moment!"

Wellington became only the fourth woman to win back-to-back world titles with her win on the 30th anniversary of the event.

She recorded a time just 11 minutes off the event record, despite suffering at least a 10-minute delay with a puncture during the bike race.

Sem comentários: